Pages

Thursday 14 February 2013

The Beginning


I am a nineteen year old guy who has always dreamt of being an airline pilot. I've never really considered any other career. I found CTC whilst googling pilot schools a few years ago and had attended a few open days at Nursling before I applied. However with their fantastic track record, high standards and many partner airlines, I was pretty certain I wanted to go there without even visiting them first. After gaining a place there in August 2012, I thought I would start a blog whilst in my CTC Wings training so that family and friends could keep up with what I'm getting up to for the next couple of years. I'm on CP105, starting my CTC Wings course exactly one week today (on the 21st February). I got my house details on Monday and it is all now beginning to feel very real. I found it helpful reading through other people's experiences when applying to the scheme, so thought I'd give it a go too - hopefully it will be helpful if you are considering applying!

Application
I applied back in July just after I finished my A Levels. The application was pretty straightforward; you have to fill in an online form from CTC's website which asks you for details on your education, work, any flying experience etc. Once finished I very nervously clicked on the 'send' button and knew all I could do was wait.
The lovely Dibden Manor

Assessment day
Well luckily I passed the initial screening and was asked to go to one of CTC's assessment days at one of their training facilities, Dibden Manor. I arrived in the morning, rather nervous yet excited at the same time and went in to find five other guys were there with me. My age and lack of degree was something which concerned me, although there was someone else my age and only three of the six of us had been to university. The day started with a presentation by one of the selection team (who were very nice!!), which gave us all a chance to ask any questions we may have about the company or the day. After this we began the group tasks which lasted about an hour. Before the task everyone was asked to briefly say a little bit about themselves which really helps you relax a bit.
Next came the dreaded maths and PILAPT (Pilot Aptitude) tests, both of which are done on a computer. We were led down the corridor to a room full of computers and were asked to find the work station with our name on it. After being given an explanation of what was about to happen, it all began... The maths test is GCSE level and there are fifteen questions asked in fifteen minutes. The questions are multiple choice, although it is not as easy as it sounds and so I would advise anyone to scrub up on their maths before going! They aren't impossibly difficult, but it is always best to be prepared and ready for anything. Straight after the fifteen minutes the maths test is over and the PILAPT test begins. The tests are by no means easy, but for most before the 'actual one' you are given a practise go to make sure you totally understand what to do. I really do not see any way in which somebody could prepare for these tests and so my best advice would be to get a good night's sleep the night before (as tricky as that may be!!). These tests are to see if you have the skills needed to be successful in the course, with some using a joystick, others a keyboard (and one with both... which was, er, interesting). After this, you may find your palms are rather sweaty, you feel rather sick and your stomach feels as though you actually just swallowed a jar of butterflies. At this point it is lunchtime where you can re-join your new found friends around a table whilst attempting to eat something to take your mind off of the fact that you are about to find out if you have passed the morning tasks and are being given an interview that afternoon.
Well luckily I along with two others was asked to stay the afternoon for Stage 3 (the interview with a member of the selection team), which is a competency based interview. It was nowhere as scary as I thought it would be and after a couple of minutes I really loosened up, mainly as I knew they weren't trying to fail or trick me and also because interviewer was so friendly, and was a familiar face who had been around for the entire day. When the interview is over you're free! You now know you can do no more and that your fate is in CTC's hands.

The next day
After managing to get very little sleep I decided to get up at 6am as opposed to worrying in bed. Nobody knew I had my assessment the day before because I had only told my parents. I thought it best to keep my mobile off, as I really didn't feel like talking to anyone until I heard the news.
By one in the afternoon, I began to panic. I still had no call and so I decided to turn on my mobile to check my messages, to discover I had a voicemail. I had completely forgotten CTC had my mobile number. I hesitantly called the number to hear my message, hearing the chirpy voice of one of the very nice ladies who was on the selection team asking me to call her back. Shaking with nerves and knowing I was about to find out if my dream was about to come true I called her back to find I had passed the interview stage and that they would like to offer me a place at CTC! I don't really remember much after that, as it was all a bit of a shock.



8 comments:

  1. This is on my bookmarks already. I am so excited for you Georgie!!!! :D XXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. saw you at the event today, you were inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  3. saw you at the event today, you were inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there,

    I've found you on Instagram and decided to view your blog. What I've read so far is very interesting. I've always loved flying and I'm currently thinking of doing something like you have. The problem is I live in tenerife and have never lived in the UK. Do you think I could apply to CTC living in a foreign country? Hope to hear from you soon. Happy landings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello.
    I would like to ask regarding the pilapt test, the hands test where there is a person in different orientations.
    what possitive right square or negative right square means ? negative right circle etc....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the blog post! Really very much helpful for newly Aspirants seeking the career in Aviation industry. Before appearing in the exam it is necessary to get trained for the Airline Psychometric Test.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice article!Its my dream to be a pilot and finally going to appear for the Pilot Aptitude Test Online.I m very much keen to know more deeply about it and finally i m getting the stuff i was looking for.Thanks for sharing .

    ReplyDelete