Pages

Saturday 28 December 2013

Christmas and some big news - my first solo!


Raglan beach - popped here on Christmas day!

My "I can't believe I just got to go solo" grin
Hey everyone! I've had some exciting flying lessons recently, mainly involving circuits here at Hamilton. There have been three lessons on the circuits, each bringing in a new element - for example, engine failures after takeoff. This is basically finding a field and aiming for it as if your engine has cut off.

The circuits here at NZHN are left hand, although I have had a couple of non-standard right hand ones thrown in at various points during the three lessons. I also came in behind an ATR72, which, it turns out, kicks out some crazy wake turbulence!

Today was very exciting - I completed my first ever solo flight! This morning I had lesson FK011, which is a solo check flight. This is when a certified instructor goes up with you and makes sure you
are performing to the expected standard. If all goes well, they hop out at the terminal and you go back to the runway and complete your very first solo! Luckily everything went smoothly today, despite the weather not being at its best and I flew a circuit by myself. Pretty sure I was grinning during the entire flight! On landing I was thrilled to get a "well done" from the control tower, before taxiing back to the CTC apron to refuel and shut down the aircraft. I genuinely think the hardest part of flying the Cessna is parking them! Unlike with the DA20s, you have to use a tow bar to control the nose wheel; pushing the aircraft and lining up the aircraft to be perfectly straight along the taxiway line is no easy feat. I know what you are thinking: "Oh what is he on about, it cannot be that difficult!". I thought that too, but it is actually surprisingly difficult! If I am honest it is still a bit surreal that after so long waiting for it, I have finally flown an aircraft all by myself - I have been waiting to say I have done that for years now! My next flight involves about an hour of solo circuits, so am really looking forward to that one!

ZK-JZM just after my first solo
Christmas in New Zealand was odd. The weather was the main abnormality, as the frost and wind etc was missing. However, unfortunately the grey clouds and rain decided to pay a visit. We had a Clearways Christmas BBQ before heading to Raglan beach for an hour or so which of course involved photos of us all on the beach in Santa hats! We haven't made any official plans for New Year yet, but hopefully we will get up to something exciting!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your great experience, I hope to start my training with CTC in 2014, I will see you in the sky :)

    ReplyDelete